Wednesday, April 23, 2008
omaha trip
We took the boys on a short trip to Omaha. We visited the Durham Western Heritage Museum and the Omaha Zoo. Here are some things we learned:
1) Jack is terrified of elevators. The doors closing, the elevator starting to move, the elevator stopping, the doors opening were all events that caused significant alarm.
2) Shannon has no fear in the water. At it's deepest, the pool was just over Shannon's head. But, that didn't stop Shannon from venturing into the deepest part of the pool.
3) Jack was terrified of the pool. He loves baths, so I don't think it was water he was afraid of. But, when we first entered the pool area, all the noise from the kids and the fountain brought the poor kid to tears. Later, as I was taking him into the water, his arm was literally shaking--and not because he was cold. Eventually, he warmed up to the idea and enjoyed himself.
4) Shannon is crazy-kid once he warms up to his surroundings. At the museum, he was cautious at first. But, then he turned into the hide-in-a-cupboard-and-jump-out-and-scare-passersby kid. He tore around the train cars (the museum was pretty empty) for about 15 minutes.
5) Little known fact -- when at the zoo, you are actually supposed to race through as fast as you can. Well, at least in the world according to Shannon. I think he enjoyed it, but he didn't enjoy any one thing for very long.
6) Jack hates riding in strollers. For this reason, I wore Jack in a carrier at the zoo. In the afternoon, he was pretty happy in the wagon for a while. But, then he got tired. So, we went home.
All in all, it was a great weekend. I look forward to doing similar weekends in years to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment