Sunday, September 23, 2007

a child of habit

Sean and I have determined that Shannon is a child of habit. It isn't necessarily order he needs, just for things to happen the same way all the time. The first time we noticed this truth was when Shannon was about four months old. Every time I breast-fed Shannon, his fingers would fly up to my mouth. If he was receiving a bottle, the same would not be true--only breastfeeding. Here are a few more recent examples of patterns that Shannon has instituted and must follow:

--When Shannon says "Thank you," you must respond with "You're welcome." He will continue to say "thank you" until he hears "you're welcome."

--When Shannon points something out while we are driving (like going "over a bridge," "beeg truck," or "red light"), you must affirm that he has spoken correctly. Or, he will continue to repeat himself with increasing urgency.

--After a bath, Shannon enjoys running around naked. I'm sure this is true of most kids his age, but Shannon has added something that I'm not quite sure all kids would be drawn to. He sits, with his naked butt, on a pile of shoes by the front door. Can't quite explain that one.

--Shannon insists on sleeping sideways and at the foot of the bed. He must have his head on a pillow, and be covered with blankets (except his arms and head).

--Shannon has learned that if you hear someone fall or drop something, you should ask, "are you okay." So, earlier when I nearly dropped a jar of applesauce, Shannon from the other room called out, "you otay?" Yes, it's adorable and I gave him a hug and kiss, but I'm not completely convinced that Shannon was concerned with my well-being, so much as he knew someone was supposed to ask. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last example is especially cute. It sounds like he was asking the jar instead of you. :) What a funny kid!

Anne said...

I can't believe he likes to sit on the shoes with his nekked bum!! That's hilarious.

It's amazing how kids crave routine. Me too.f