Monday, October 29, 2007

new bike

Early last summer, I purchased a bike for Shannon at a garage sale--$5. Last night, we finally took him out to try it. First, we had to get a helmet. (If I had had my head on straight, I would have gotten a helmet at the same garage sale because they had some. But I was ten days away from giving birth to an almost eleven pound baby and not thinking quite straight.) After we picked up the helmet, we went to a park. We were both expecting that Shannon would have to do a little work before taking off. No, he just took off.

He only struggled with the brakes. On his tricycle, he is able to peddle backwards or forwards. On his bike, peddling backwards initiates the brakes. So, depending on the position of the peddles, he would need a little push to get started. But, that was all we were allowed to do. Once he got started, he would put his hand out and say, "no! shannon do it!"

After a little while on the bike, we played in the park for awhile. Sean chased Shannon around, and I swung on the swings with Jack. Shannon also got to try out the digger. It might have been a little big for him, but that didn't stop him from trying.


And, Shannon really enjoys wearing his new helmet--all the time. Here he is eating breakfast. At least if he falls of the stool, we won't need to worry about a head injury.

No comments: