Wednesday, December 5, 2007

smart kid

In the space of about 15 minutes this morning, Shannon surprised me with something he had apparently learned.
--I purchased the LeapFrog Fridge phonics system for him to help him learn the alphabet. I just gave it to him this morning. You place a letter on the machine and it will sing a song for each letter. All that is included in each song is this: "E says eh, and E says ee. Every letter makes a sound, and E says eh and ee." (Of course, the letter and sounds change with each letter.) So, we're picking up all the letters. He picks up the lowercase letter "e." He says, "elephant" and makes the sound of an elephant. The LeapFrog system does not tell him this. So, I'm guessing he remembers it from about 2 or months ago when he spent a couple days at my friend Jennifer's house. She was spending a week on each letter with the kids, and I'm pretty sure they did the letter e. Anyway, I was still amazed that he knew it.
--I am currently borrowing Beethoven's Wig from the library. It takes several classical pieces and puts funny lyrics to them. The first 11 tracks are with the lyrics. The second 11 tracks are the same pieces without the lyrics. Anyway, he was listening to it during breakfast this morning, and we had gotten to the lyric-free tracks. We were listening to Mozart's Eine Kliene Nachtmusik and Shannon says "music at night!!" Then comes Offenbach's Can Can, and Shannon says "I can!"

1 comment:

Anne said...

Glad you are enjoying Beethoven's Wig. We love it around here. Their favorite is the "Can Can."